With all the pots that I have created or have been donated to me I find myself running out of room. I really had told myself that when we moved here I would not be buying more pots. Well I sorta kept that promise, right? I’ve bought one pot since being here. The rest were other items that were transformed into pots… I have a feeling it was the spirit of the promise that was broken more than the word of it.
On my front porch I have seven pots sitting along the fence posts and two on a very old faded and cracked garden table. The problem was the three that were sitting on the floor by the door.
They did need the partial shade though of the covered part of my porch.
So I decided I needed a table… and was too cheap to buy one. Thus I began to look around the house for items I could make into one. Maybe there was an excuse to buy a new power tool laying around my house?
I ended up with my son’s old chair. He had been using it to stand on to reach the bowls. The problem with that was that he tended to leave it in the middle of the kitchen for ease of access; which annoyed my husband who kept tripping over it. It also has a huge crack down the center of it.
For this project you’ll need:
- spray paint
- a suitable chair
- sandpaper if needed
The plants looked a little happier but the chair obviously needed a paint job.
My son, however, insisted I only paint it certain colors. What colors? Red and green. I had visions of a nice sage and burgundy. Reality however, had me finding only Christmas shades. After calling my son on his new cell phone we managed to negotiate a new set of colors; white and orange.
Great, my son wants Tennessee colors for his chair if he can’t have Christmas colors.
Once the surface is prepared you need to tape up any bits that you don’t want to spray. Pick a tape that’s not likely going to rip the new paint off when it’s the time to tape that part up. I had used masking tape and while it was easy to get off it did rip off the new paint on occasion. That made extra work I wasn’t happy about. Sometimes you get what you pay for and the 2$ masking tape was the wrong tape for this job.
The second thing I did wrong was not tape enough of the chair. Spray paint does just that; it sprays. I’m not used to using it and can’t even remember owning any until this year. As such I keep making rookie mistakes with it. I should have taped the entire section that I had just painted instead of just a few inches out.
Once I reapplied a few layers and the paint was pretty much where I wanted it, it was done.
Looking back I probably should have tried to remove the frame from the seat and back. That way I could have painted them separately and not worried about taping anything.
Oh, well live and learn.