We have a ton of books. The only reason we don’t live in a library is because the military has a limit of how much weight in household goods they’ll pay to move. Though living in a library sounds awesome! I can totally make that happen.
A problem arises however, when you don’t have enough bookcases to place your books on. We ended up shoving a ton of books into a CD rack and even more into canvas totes.
It turns out that the disaster with the whiteboard paint may have been a blessing in disguise. My husband and I decided that since dry erase markers work fantastic on glass to just buy a sheet of glass that fit our son’s desk. Turns out the glass was only 23$ for a 1/4” thick! A quarter inch thick is the recommended thickness for a desktop. It was hard to believe that it was that cheap to have it cut! I always assumed having glass cut was expensive.
That however left us with the question of what to do with the hutch. While the glass could probably withstand the weight of the hutch and maybe even the additional weight of the books we didn’t want to chance it. Plus the boy decided he liked the desk better without the hutch. He had more room to spread out.
I decided to hack off the legs of the hutch and turn it into a bookcase.
For this DIY all you need is:
- the old hutch,
- a saw,
- a ruler,
- protective eye wear,
- a clamp,
- a pencil and
- a sander.
I decided to measure the new legs at two inches below the scroll work in the front. This made it three inches in the back. After a few minutes of trying to figure out how to draw a straight line, even with the help of ruler, and my husband laughing at me we were able to move on.
I used a jigsaw but if you have a handsaw or circular saw they should work just fine. I laid this on it’s side in the garage and had my husband hold the top end instead of a clamp. Slap on the protective eye wear. Line the saw up, if using a power tool try not to drop it, and go to town. Flip the piece over and repeat.
After that sand down the new legs.
I thought for sure I was going to have to reconnect the thin strip of wood that was used originally to add stability to the hutch. Instead I found that I had cut them short enough that I didn’t need the extra stability.
Overall I’ve very satisfied with how it came out. I may decide to paint it in the future but for now I’m happy with it.