While the last one was Shopkick’s fault this one is Pinterest’s again. I had seen this idea floating around and wanted to try it. I actually did have an old chandelier lying around. I bought it several years ago when we lived in Germany for 99E. My original plan had been to have it rewired when we got back to the States.
Unfortunately the movers broke it on our last move. The chains had begun falling off and the base wasn’t straight anymore. So when I saw the pin about making an outdoor chandelier I decided I needed to try it.
First I took off all the chains and everything but the base. From there I used wire cutters and gutted it. Then I reattached everything but the chains. The base is still cracked and off center from the movers but it’s better.
The hardest part was finding solar lights since I did this in winter. Eventually however I found small lights at Target for 2$ each. I then bought some caulk suited for bathrooms to ‘glue’ the lights in. Making my grand total roughly 15$.
Sadly all didn’t go according to plan. The heat, even in winter, from the south facing yard in a desert made the caulk stretch something awful. I had to keep redoing at least three lights a day. I finally ended up super gluing the things in. The original plan had been to place the caulk into the light socket and then shove the solar light in the socket sans garden stake. I ended up placing super glue between the caulk that stuck to the socket and the caulk that stuck to the light. In the end it worked.
Equally frustrating was finding that we couldn’t get the Shepard’s hook in the ground. Our yard is solid rock just two to three inches down. We couldn’t even shovel it deep enough. The added purchase of the hook was 23$ but I had planned to buy one anyway. I ended up zip tying it to the support beam off the porch, but it worked!
I can’t say it looks terribly impressive in my pics but it looks really good in person.
It’s hard to see in the following pic but the lights are so bright after getting 10 or so hours of light they light up the whole porch and part of the yard.
My mom suggested painting it if I got bored with the black but I pointed out it wasn’t just black. When the light hits it right red shows through. You can see a pinprick of red on the left of the ball.
It looks a lot better in person and I’m enthralled with it. I was very pleased when it held up to the 30mph winds we get. I really wish I had better pics but my talents are very hit and miss with a regular camera much less my iPhone one.
… I also have six leftover chains since I can’t remember how they went on.