This was so insanely frustrating. Seriously, seriously, frustrating. Normally I don’t have too much trouble thinking up a pattern for what I want to do; if I can’t find exactly what I want already created by someone else. It’s normally as simple as thinking up the design and doing it. Writing it down is another matter given how often I rip what I did in my attempt to figure it out. If I run into a problem then I see if I can find something similar and figure out where I went wrong.
For this pattern it was fairly easy to figure out where to start and even how to end. The problem came in the middle. All the patterns I found were for squares. Well I didn’t want a square dishtowel. That’s just odd.
The most helpful thing I found was to alternate between increasing and decreasing rows. My instincts tell me to simply crochet across once I reach the width desired but it led to a curving of the fabric.
As you can see I got a curve I didn’t want though I did use the alternating method others wrote about. Blocking can take care of it if it annoys you. I ended up being lazy and leaving it as it is. It’s made for getting dirty after all!
Yarn: 2 1/2 skeins of Lily Sugar’n Cream
Gauge: 15 sts x 18 rows (not essential)
Finished Size: 21″ x 15″
Row 1: ch 2
Row 2: (HDC, Dc, HDC), in 2nd ch from hook
Row 3 – as wide as desired: ch 1, (HDC, Dc) in 1st st, sc across, (Dc, HDC) in last st
Row 37: ch 1, HDC in 1st st, Dctog, sc across, (DC, HDC) in last st
Row 38: ch 1, HDC, DC, sc across, DC, HDC
Rows 39- length you want: alternate rows 37 and 38
Rows 75 – to end: ch 1, HDC in 1st st, Dctog, sc across, Dctog, HDC in last st. Continue until two sts left.