My area rug is ancient. It’s nearly 10 years old. It’s also really functional. I bought an outdoor/indoor rug that I’ve used to the point that some of the bamboo slats recently broke off. I wasn’t however ready to toss it. Other than being so dirty nothing will get the wood clean short of sanding it and re-staining it was fine.
I started looking around Pinterest for ideas to make a new area rug or to renew my old one. Area rugs are insanely expensive for such a small scrap of fabric! Don’t get me started on the health hazards of regular carpet! Anyway, eventually I found a pin to here. It’s instructions on how to make your custom sized rug out of rubber matting.
The problem with this was that the rubber matting isn’t sold in the width I needed for an area rug under my dinning table. So I got to thinking; Why couldn’t I use the same principles in the tutorial for my current rug? Answer: There is no reason why not! Then began my hunt for fabric wide enough for my rug which measured 60″ x 95″. I’d need something roughly 62″ so I could cover the whole thing.
That’s when I realized that fabric generally didn’t come in anything wider than 54″. I was pissed to say the least. Eventually I did find fabric in a verity of widths. Part of the problem was is that a lot of fabric sites don’t allow you to search effectively by widths.
Fast forward and I received my fabric after harrowing issues with the company I chose. The directions are very near similar to the above link.
For this I chose to sew the edges of the fabric since I wasn’t covering entire rug. I also omitted the polyurethane since bought a water resistant fabric. Other than I followed the directions on the link above.
I started off with this and ended up after about thirty minutes of intense workout with this.
I now need to reupholster my chairs to match better; but that’ll come after I take them apart and fix the joints and re-stain them.